Sunday, July 22, 2012

What it would feel like to gain 25 pounds









Today the general schedule was hike in the morning then hit the city pool in the afternoon.  Everything went as scheduled, we all had a great time, and were exhausted by noon.  The hike, at Chautauqua in Boulder,  was a challenging one for all.  I'd done the hike before and it's normally slightly challenging for me.  Today, I did the hike with an 18 pound Lydia Claire strapped to my back in one of those fancy hiking packs.  It really wasn't as bad as the first 10 minutes led me to believe the following 2 hours would be.  I discovered that it was best to not stop moving forward.  I was good to go as long as I kept moving, even if it was slowly.  If I had to stop, it was best to find a rock to support the pack on.  Standing still while supporting the pack was not a good idea.  I also had one of those manufactured hiking poles to help provide stability which was a Godsend.  And talk about a great workout!  I treated myself to a big lunch afterwords. 

In the afternoon, the best part of the city pool was not the relief of swimming after the 2.5 hour hike in 97 degree heat (granted, it's dry heat here) nor was it the joy and delight in my nephews' and niece's faces.  No the highlight was watching my brother "diving" off the board while flailing his arms and cannon-balling off the diving board while again arms were flailing and an he added a yelp/scream.  Great times!


No comments: