Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Seat with a View


I write this as I am flying over what appears to be Arizona. The land looks barren and there appear to be few houses. Previous to this, we were over Colorado. The view of the Rockies from above was spectacular. I must get to Colorado and do some hiking ASAP. I need to link up with a good traveling buddy who likes to hike and try new activities. Kev is a good travel partner but we’ve discovered that he likes to look at the sites where as I like to physically do something at the sites. For example, last fall, Kev and I were in Los Angeles visiting our friend Zeck. We took a cruise to the Hollywood sign. Kev enjoyed looking at the sign and surrounding scenery; I, meanwhile, wanted to hike to the sign. In our visit to the Pacific, we enjoyed a leisurely break at the beach and watched the boats, birds, and strange folks. I would have preferred however, to experience the Pacific by kayak. So Kev likes to see and I like to do. We continue to be good travel companions because we compromise. If, however, you’re a do-er and would like to travel, let me know. I’m always looking for adventure.

As the flight continues, it has now become very clear that we are over Arizona or Nevada. The land is not only dry but has turned the distinctive red color associated with the desert southwest. I am seeing little vegetation. My view is not limited to Arizona, however. I also have a great view of the part of the jet that propels us. I forget what this thing is called. I’m sure my good friend Shop Teacher Bob can tell us. It’s that big round thing that geese get sucked into. I chose to sit in the back of the plane because I had read that you are more likely to have open seats in the back. Unfortunately, this proved untrue on this flight and it is extremely loud back here.

3 comments:

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The engine is housed in a nacelle.

Becky said...

I think I've been in that same seat many times and the stinky guy next to me

Traveling Pirate said...

Shop Teacher Bob-I knew you'd know what it was called.