Thursday, July 3, 2008

Accident Numero Dos



It didn’t take long for me to get my second injury of the trip. After eating a grilled Cajun chicken sandwich at Fudruckkers with my friend John, I managed to simultaneously stub my toe, fall going up a set of stairs, and spill a full cup of pop. The toe hurts, ripped off part of the nail, and bled a little. Perhaps I should consider a protective bubble.


The meetings today were not bad. The delegation from Indiana met from 7-9 this morning. At 11, our meeting of all state delegations (about 10,000 folks from all states) began. The Representative Assembly (that's what the meeting is called) began with the usual Pledge of Allegiance but instead of the normal national anthem, we heard and saw Marvin Gaye's rendition from the 1983 NBA Playoffs. This was followed by the introduction of pertinent people and the Keynote Address by NEA President Reg Weaver. I highly recommend watching the video of his address especially if you are an NEA member and are not familiar with the Reg. If you are pressed for time, just watch the last few minutes. He is a great speaker.

The remainder of the day was spent debating and discussing new business items, standing rule amendments, by-law amendments, and constitutional amendments. The first America's Greatest Education Governor was presented to Mike Easley of North Carolina. That guy has made some big changes in NC. Teachers have averaged an 18% increase in pay and education support professionals received up to a 20% raise in one year. He has decreased class size and has implemented a program for high school students that allows them to spend an extra year in high school and receive an associates degree. Those of us in the Indiana delegation were muttering about Mitch. We'd prefer Mike. Mike spoke better than nearly all politicians I've heard speak. I'd also recommend watching his speech if you have a few moments.

I plan on spending the rest of the evening working on geography and riding the bike in the fitness room. After getting up at 5:30 this morning (4:30 home time), I'm ready to go to bed early.

No comments: