Saturday, February 19, 2011

Burger King, or as They Say in Spanish, Burger King

February 19, 2011 11:40 a.m./6:40 p.m.

They have beer at the Burger Kings in Spain.

I’m not making this up. Lunch at the apartment today was a little rough for me. I like fish but I think today’s lunch was salmon, which I do not like. The flavor was very strong and was persisting in my mouth after I finished my side of baked potato (with just salt and pepper) and mandarin orange (I’m starting to like oranges). I tried breath mints but still the salmon taste persisted and the salmon burping started. After nearly three hours of walking around the city, I decided that was it. I could not handle anymore salmon mouth. It was time to try the Burger King.

Aesthetically, it is unlike any Burger King I’ve ever been to. I’m not a big eater of fast food but every once in a while, probably every 6 months or so, I partake. This Burger King, however looks nothing like the Burger Kings I’ve been too. It has marble columns and elaborate crown molding. In terms of speed of service, it is also unlike any Burger King I’ve been to. I waited in line 20 minutes before ordering. As I’d been eating healthy all week, I decided to splurge this meal and ordered a chicken breast sandwich with a side of mozzarella sticks and a medium coke (I normally go for the small coke but I was super thirsty). The total cost was 8.44 or about $12. Dang. Not good. As the employee got my beverage, ever so slowly, I noticed that in Spain, the medium Coke is the size of a child’s drink in America. Yikes. Oh well. The chicken sandwich was ok but definitely not good. The mozzarella sticks? Tasted just like home . . . mmmhhhnnn. Unfortunately, they came with no sauce and for $2, I got 3 sticks.

Oh well. Now I know what to expect at Spanish Burger King and probably won’t be back unless I’m desperate for fat and cholesterol. And the best part?

I’m still burping the salmon.



No comments: