Friday, February 25, 2011

Tapas! Finalmente!


Today I finally tried tapas. Well one tapa to be exact.

Bomi, a girl from Korea who is studying Spanish at my school, asked me if I had gone for tapas yet. I told her I had not yet tried this famous aspect of Granada. She said we must go after class so I could try it. Well, I think that's what she said. My Spanish is not so great yet. (As a side note, Bomi studied English for 12 years in Korea but they only ever read and wrote, no speaking or listening. Thus, she is not able to communicate with me in English very well.) Anyway, after class, around 12:30, we went to a tapas place. I LOVED it. When you order a drink, you get a tapa for free. I ordered a Coke and Bomi had a wine without alcohol. Then, for the tapa, we received a serrano ham sandwich on a bagel with tomato and a side of fries. The cost? 2.20 Euros each or less than $3. Pretty good deal. The fries also had some kind of amazing tasting mayonaisse or aoli on the side. I would definitely like to do this again soon. You really can't beat the price.

Tomorrow, I am headed to Las Alpujarras, a series of small villages in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The trip is an excursion arranged for students of the various language schools in Granada. I'll have to leave to walk to the meeting point around 8 a.m. and I'll get back around 9 p.m.. It should be very interesting and it will be good for me to get out of the city for a while, get some fresh air, and see some other parts of Spain. I've had a few headaches, I think due to the amount of car exhaust. It will do me good to get out of town for a day.

I just checked, and, according to my records, in the last 7 days I have walked for 18 hours and 20 minutes. Wow. I was down two notches on my belt a week ago but I've not gone down anymore since then. I have had a TON of vegetables and fruit which are good and the selection of chips and other junk food here is very weak (also a good thing).

No comments: