Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rainy Day con Kebab

February 15, 2011 12:46 p.m./7:46 p.m.

I have ventured out to a kebab place close to our apartment to pick up a small supper. There are lots of kebab places in this area as it was inhabited by Arabs over time and also is close to Northern Africa. It seems similar to the plethora of Mexican restaurants at home. They also have pizza and hamburgers at some of the places. Tonight I am trying the chicken kebab which is served with a lettuce and sauce in a pita. While on the subject of food, for lunch today, we had zucchini and cheese soup, bread, salad with avocados and maybe artichokes, and breaded & fried ham with cheese. Ham is big here and this ham was very good.

I had a hard time getting up for class today. The jet lag is killing me. Last night, I went to sleep around 10 p.m. and was wide awake at 2 a.m. I was supposed to get up at 8 but did not fall back asleep until 6 or 7, I think, and thus did not get up until 9. My class was at 11 so this worked out fine. Our first hour and a half class each day is grammar and the second is conversation. Today’s conversation was about food and menus. The grammar class was about pronouns (much less exciting) and discussing future plans. I learned a lot in each, however, and also got homework in each which I need to do now.

Oh my gosh, this kebab is REALLY good. The meat is cooked on a big spit rather than individual skewers. The dish has pieces of bread on the bottom (not in a pita), shaved chicken that was cooked on the spit (it’s thin and crispy like bacon), a tomato sauce on top of that, and yogurt on the side. It’s amazing. Really really good. I’m going to have to take most of it home as it’s huge. I hope Señora will allow me to put it in the fridge.

I didn’t do that much wandering today as it is raining and it is supposed to keep raining until Friday. Of course, rain makes for great naps and I was very tired after lunch, thus I had my first Spanish siesta. It lasted 3 hours! I must now figure out how to ask the kebab man for a box to take this amazing food home and then do my homework.

No comments: